Monday, March 19, 2012

Roasted Garlic Pods with a KC Strip



So keeping with my style I decided to try my luck at a dish I had at my favorite restaurant out in St Louis called Prime 1000. This is a simple, inexpensive and yet amazingly tasty way to really fancy up a plain old steak!

Now for those of you who are not huge garlic lovers let me just tell ya....try this and you may change your mind! Roasting the garlic really changes the flavor versus the fresh chopped and minced garlic you are used to eating! Its very subtle without any harsh bit or crunch that is typically associated with garlic.

Ingredients:

1-2 pods of garlic per steak (dependant on how big the pods are and how much you want)

However many steaks you want. I used a nice KC Strip but it will work on any.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thyme



Preperation:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut about 1/2" off the pointed side of the garlic pod to expose the garlic cloves underneath. They should look like this....


Place pods into a muffin tin with cut side facing up and generously apply olive oil making sure it makes its way down into the pod itself. (if you don't have a muffin tin just make some "cups" out of foil.)


Sprinkle some Thyme over the top of them and then cover with foil.



Insert into oven for 35-45 minutes or until the garlic is starting to kinda caramelize and brown around the edges like it looks here.


At about the 30 minute mark take out your steak and cook it for about 6 minutes per side over a medium fire grill. (for med rare)


To serve just place the pod directly on the top of the steaks and there ya have it, a classy looking out of the ordinary steak dish with an amazing taste and gourmet presentation. Now I didn't take photo's of it but the other thing I really enjoy with this dish is to make some hollandaise sauce to drizzle over it as well. The creamy hint of lemon mixed with that roasted garlic sets it off to even a higher level!



Anyways, as I always I hope this helps you make something a little fancier than normal for yourself or your family and I hope you enjoy!

-Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment