Tuesday, November 1, 2011

And yet another Sunday has gone by...

Let's start out with the "menu"
  • "Fried" chicken breast
  • Israeli couscous
  • Craisin-almond balls
  • Egg "muffins"
  • Banana Walnut Muffins
  • Hummus
Yeah, not a very exciting menu. I was pretty lazy this Sunday & was VERY dehydrated. No idea why (no, I did not drink Saturday night!).

My Crazy Chicken Creation (that failed)
3 chicken breasts
Olive Oil
Rosemary
Salt & pepper to taste
  1. Mix all ingredients in a bag
  2. Let marinate
  3. "Fry"
 I'm gonna be honest. I have no idea what I did wrong, but I ended up burning it so bad that I've given up on eating it this week. But then again, I hate any burnt foods.

Israeli Couscous
I honestly didn't try anything unique this time, but I did want to try this. I cooked by the instructions on the box so it came out tasting a bit bland.
But that's ok, I have plenty more left so I'll be experimenting with this in the days to come. I'm envisioning cooking this with chicken stock & spinach. Yummmm.

Craisin-Almond Balls
These are so delicious, and so easy to make. I've made these in all sorts of variations (and you can substitute raising for craisins, but lets be honest here-- who actually enjoys raisins?)
1 C Craisins
1 C RAW Almonds
1/4 C Maple Syrup
Cinnamon to taste (optional)
2 T mini chocolate chips (optional)
etc. etc. etc.
  1. Scoop out 1 C of craisins

  2. Thoroughly rinse craisins
  3. Scoop out 1 C of raw almonds
  4. Thoroughly rinse almonds
  5. Process craisins and almonds until fine
  6. Add 1/4 C maple syrup to almond-craisin mix
  7. Process until sticky
  8. Lay out a sheet of parchment paper
  9. Scoop out balls
  10. Refrigerate balls until they harden
  11. Place balls into container to enjoy later
Egg "Muffins"
2 C egg beaters
Handful (or more) spinach
Handful (or more) mushrooms
Salt & pepper to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 375°F
  2. Spray a 12 muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray
  3. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
  4. Pour all ingredients into muffin pan
  5. Bake in oven for 15 minutes, or until eggs harden
  6. Let cool, and then scoop into a container
  7. Nuke for 30-40 seconds in the morning for a quick breakfast
Hummus
('cuz you all know how much I love me some hummus & pretzel crisps!)
1 can Garbanzo/chickpeas
2 T lemon juice
1 T garlic
Dash of white pepper & dash of red pepper (yeah, I wanted a little kick to my hummus this week!)
  1. Process all ingredients
  2. Place into container
Banana Walnut Muffins
(Same ingredients & instructions as the past weeks)
3 ripe bananas
1/2 C (or more) chopped walnuts
1 c lowfat buttermilk
1 c whole wheat flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t cinnamon
1 t salt
1 whole egg
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
3/4 c brown sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 375°F
  2. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper cups
  3. In a small bowl, combine the oats and buttermilk, and let stand at room temperature for five minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; mix with a fork to blend and set aside.
  5. In a large bowl and using a hand mixer, beat the egg, applesauce, brown sugar at medium speed for 3 minutes.
  6. Blend in the oat-buttermilk mixture
  7. Stir in the flour mixture only to combine, try not to overwork the mixture
  8. Mash up the bananas and then stir into muffin mixture.
  9. Fold int he walnuts
  10. Fill muffins cups 3/4 full
  11. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean



No comments:

Post a Comment